Laser Hair Removal Long Island
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
As a non-invasive laser treatment, laser hair removal in Long Island is designed to permanently reduce unwanted and unsightly hair from your face and other body parts. While it may sound like science fiction, lasers can be used.
It works because the laser beam passes through the skin and comes in contact with an individual hair follicle. The heat then damages the follicle and prevents it from forming new hairs. Usually, for hair growth to be stopped entirely, the follicle must be in an active growth cycle. For this reason, it requires more than one treatment to destroy all hair follicles and prevent hair from growing in that treated area. The wavelength of light used to target the hair follicle is selected to have the maximum possible impact on the hair follicle while not impacting the surrounding skin.
Laser Hair Removal Treatments
This procedure is relatively painless as the laser energy is delivered through a handheld device with a comfortable cooling tip that soothes the skin. A very mild sensation that is not painful will be felt with each laser pass. This allows for the treatment to be done without any anesthesia required.
Most hair removal sessions should take 30 minutes or less and vary based on the size of the area that is being treated. Dr. Jacono recommends for most patients between 6 to 8 separate treatments to stop the hair growth permanently and fully. Laser hair removal sessions should be done every 4 to 6 weeks apart.
Areas That Can Be Treated With Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a versatile treatment that can be used on multiple body regions where excess hair is causing discomfort or cosmetic problems. Below are several treatment regions that are among the most popular for patients worldwide.
- Upper Lip —Many women pursue laser hair removal to combat fine hairs that emerge above the lips, distracting from an otherwise lovely smile. During the treatment, the tiny hair follicles are permanently damaged, eradicating the need to shave, wax, or tweeze.
- Armpits — Patients struggling with excess hair under the arms may spend valuable time each day shaving, which can be a frustrating chore that lowers the quality of life over the years. Laser hair removal is gentle and practical — an ideal solution for the delicate skin in the armpits.
- Bikini — Many patients feel self-conscious about excess hair in the bikini region and seek laser hair removal to obtain smoother skin and an enhanced self-image. Laser hair removal is a convenient and quick way to reduce hours spent shaving and waxing the lower body.
- Chin and Neck — Laser hair removal can be instrumental in reducing unwanted hair on the chin and neck. Excess hair growth in these areas for women may be due to hormonal changes or imbalances. For men, managing excess hair on the neck can lead to razor burns, rashes, and infected follicles. Laser hair removal offers effective relief for both men and women.
Who is a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Men or women frustrated by the appearance of unsightly hair on their face, neck, or body generally make excellent candidates for laser hair removal in Long Island. Patients should be in good health and have realistic expectations for their results.
Unfortunately, only those with brown or black hair are good candidates for permanent laser hair removal. Those with blonde hair have a different type of melanin that does not absorb the laser wavelength as readily, making it impossible to remove blonde hair using this method.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
If you have hair on your body that you’d like to be rid of, you may be able to benefit from laser hair removal. Some of the primary benefits of the treatment include:
- Removes unwanted hair
- Increases your self-confidence
- The long-term solution for unwanted hair
- Very few side effects
- Quick, simple treatment
- Less painful than other methods of hair removal
- Exact treatment
- Eliminates the potential for ingrown hairs
- It can be performed nearly anywhere on the body
Before your laser hair removal in Long Island :
- Refrain from waxing, plucking, and tweezing for six weeks before your session – While it may seem counterintuitive, you need to have sufficient hair length for the laser to have something to grab onto during laser hair removal. The laser will need to latch onto the hair follicles. Shaving is acceptable, as this only affects the surface of the hairs and does not target the root follicles. Make sure to shave the target areas 24 hours before with only a new razor free from bacteria. Using an old razor can contaminate the treatment area, leading to complications after your session.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun – Stay away from direct sunlight for at least 72 hours before your laser hair removal session. The laser removal process will beam a large amount of heat energy at the skin, so adding sunburn to this process can cause undue damage.
- Avoid makeup and topical products – On your laser hair removal appointment, avoid using any makeup, moisturizers, lotions, perfumes, or serums on the skin. These compounds can prevent the laser from adequately accessing the hair follicles for removal. Instead, use soap and water to ensure the skin is clean and oil-free.
- Take oral painkillers – Laser hair removal is not too painful, but those clients who are anxious about discomfort can take pain medications about 30 minutes before their session to help them feel more at ease. Discuss any medication you take with your laser hair removal specialist beforehand.
What is Recovery Like After Laser Hair Removal?
Patients generally enjoy no downtime after laser hair removal sessions and should be able to return to work or school immediately. The treated area may have slight redness, but this will go away within an hour of the treatment. Results will show in two to four weeks as the hair begins to fall out.
Tips for Laser Hair Removal Recovery
- Shield from Sun: Avoid sun exposure; use sunscreen.
- Cool Showers: Skip hot showers to prevent irritation.
- Gentle Skincare: No harsh products; moisturize gently.
- Cool Compress: Use a cold compress for redness.
- Skip Makeup: Avoid makeup and perfumes.
- No Plucking/Waxing: Don’t disturb follicles.
- Avoid Heat: Stay away from saunas and hot tubs.
- Be Patient: Hair shedding is normal.
- Follow Expert Advice: Adhere to the technician’s instructions.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink water for healing.
Each person’s experience may vary, so following your technician’s recommendations for the best results is essential.
Contact J SPA Medical Spa today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Andrew Jacono for a professional hair removal treatment to ensure that most of the hair does not grow back.
Page Topic: Long Island Laser Hair Removal Treatments – Laser Hair Removal New York – Unwanted Hair – Permanent Hair Removal
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What areas of the body are most famous for laser hair removal?
We have had several patients come to us for laser hair removal for several reasons and to address trouble areas that are unique to them. We have found over many years that the most popular areas include the underarms, women’s chins, and bikini area.
How long has laser technology been in use?
Laser hair removal has been available since the mid-1990s. Research continues, and advancement in technology has allowed this technology to produce more sophisticated and long-lasting results than ever.
How much does Laser Hair Removal in Long Island cost?
Every patient is unique in their way regarding body hair. Therefore the cost of laser hair removal in Long Island can vary significantly for each patient. Various factors could affect the cost of treatment, including the size of the area being treated and the number of treatments a specialist thinks are required for the best results. The cost of your treatments can be established with your specialist during a laser hair removal consultation.
What results can you expect from laser hair removal in Long Island?
You can expect soft, smooth skin with permanent hair reduction in the targeted areas. We strive for the best results when you receive laser hair removal in Long Island at J Spa Medical Spa.
How is laser hair removal different from electrolysis hair removal?
Electrolysis uses needles to remove hair, can remove 100% of hair, and works on all hair colors. Lasers are much faster, less painful, and more reliable. Multiple sessions are required no matter which treatment you choose; however, laser treatment consists of fewer sessions to treat the area, and each session is shorter than with electrolysis.
What are the risks of hair removal?
While the risks and side effects vary from person to person, there is a risk of pigment change, mild swelling, temporary irritation, and slight redness in the skin. Any of these signs or symptoms will typically disappear after some hours.
How old should you be for laser hair removal?
The approved age to begin laser hair treatment can be as young as 14. However, it is advised that females wait until one year after the onset of their period. It is also recommended that any teen must be able to deal with any physical discomfort during the procedure and keep the treatment schedule.
Is it painful?
Pain tolerance is unique from person to person. For this reason, the discomfort felt during the treatments is not exact. It can be uncomfortable, but the sessions are short, and any pain can be likened to shark pricks on the skin.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
For most people, the effects of laser hair removal will last for several months, and in some cases, they can last for years. The results are not guaranteed to be permanent, but if the hair returns, it will typically be finer and slightly lighter.